Summer holidays on the beach, the sun is shining from the sky, cocktails by the sea and swimwear wherever you look – that’s not for you? The ten coldest places on earth offer a strong contrast program – which, however, should not necessarily be suitable for a vacation or even just for people to stay:
- The East Antarctic Plateau – The coldest place on earth
It has not been certain for so long: the coldest temperature ever recorded on earth was recorded at this location. At least minus 93.2 ° C. minus. It is impossible for people to live here, even without a protective suit and breathing apparatus. The temperature measurement was made by satellite.
- Vostok Weather Station, Antarctica
At this Russian weather station we find the coldest temperature ever measured with a thermometer: minus 89.2 ° C. In midsummer 1983.
- Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
This research station is one of the ten coldest places on earth, at which minus 82.8 ° C has already been measured. In midsummer there are over 100 South Pole researchers – only very few of them stay through the winter.
- Oymyakon in Siberia
The small Siberian village was considered the coldest place in the world until 2013. At minus 71.2 ° C, it is still 20 ° C warmer here than in East Antarctica – a few hundred people have even settled here. In summer it sometimes gets up to 30 ° C warm.
- North Ice, Gr?nland
Also a research station, located on a huge glacier, the Greenland Ice Sheet. In 1954, the cold record for this place was set at minus 65.9 ° C.
- Snag, Kanada
In this small village in the Canadian Yukon, which is considered the coldest place on the entire American continent, a temperature of minus 63 ° C was measured in the winter of 1947. Although there was still a well-functioning gold rush settlement here in the 19th century, it has now been almost completely emptied. The gold diggers left behind a ghost town of the cold, over which, by the way, a small airplane disappeared in 1950, the remains of which could never be found.
- Eureka, Kanada
Now we are making big steps into the habitable temperature areas. The weather station on the northernmost island in Canada measures down to minus 40 ° C in winter. In summer the temperatures rarely climb to more than minus 20.
- Ulaanbaatar (Ulan Bator), Mongolei
According to Trackaah, the Mongolian capital is considered to be the coldest capital in the world. The annual average temperature is only minus 2 ° C, in winter it can get down to minus 25 ° C. Officially, the city has almost 1.5 million inhabitants, which is almost half of the total population of Mongolia. However, many of these people are only in the capital to winter and roam the country in the remaining months.
- Astana, Kazakhstan
In the Kazakh capital, it is not as cold on average as in Ulaanbaatar, but in individual cases it can get down to minus 40 ° C at night. The absolute minimum temperature measured was minus 52 ° C. After all, the second coldest capital in the world.
- Funtensee, Germany
It doesn’t always have to be a different continent for such incredibly cold temperatures. Here in Germany, too, it can get very frosty at times. At Funtensee, in the Berchtesgaden National Park in Bavaria, it was minus 45.9 ° C in 2001 – not the only cold record recorded here, just the highest so far. Due to its unique basin location, it is also considerably colder at the lake than in the areas directly surrounding it. The largest temperature difference between the lake and areas already only 100 meters higher was 27 ° C in 2000.
Weather and Climate by Country
- Angkor Wat, Cambodia Weather and Climate January 29, 2022 - Geographical location and general When we speak of Angkor Wat in the vernacular, we usually do not only have the specific individual temple in mind, but also mean the entire… Read more
- Koh Samui, Thailand Weather and Climate January 22, 2022 - Geographical location Short for USM by abbreviationfinder, Koh Samui (other spellings: Ko Samui or just Samui) is, together with the island of Phuket, one of the most popular holiday destinations… Read more
- Phuket, Thailand Weather and Climate January 15, 2022 - Geographical location Short for HKT by abbreviationfinder, Phuket is Thailand's largest island (Ko Phuket) and is connected to the mainland by a short bridge. The holiday paradise in southern Thailand… Read more
- Hurghada, Egypt Weather and Climate January 8, 2022 - Geographical location Egypt is located in eastern Africa and borders Israel, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and, to the west, Libya. Short for HRG by abbreviationfinder, Hurghada is located in the east… Read more
- Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt Weather and Climate January 1, 2022 - Geographical location The Egyptian city of Sharm el-Sheikh (German spelling also Sharm el-Sheikh) is located in the South Sinai Governorate and is its administrative seat. The place extends at the… Read more
- Agadir, Morocco Weather and Climate December 25, 2021 - Geographical location According to abbreviationfinder, Agadir is an emerging tourist region in the south of Morocco. The old port city lies directly on the Atlantic and has a long sandy… Read more
- Essaouira, Morocco Weather and Climate December 18, 2021 - General & Geography According to abbreviationfinder, Essaouira is a port city in Morocco. It is located about 200 kilometers north of Agadir and almost 400 kilometers south of Casablanca on… Read more
- Marrakech, Morocco Weather and Climate December 11, 2021 - General & Geography Short for RAK by abbreviationfinder, Marrakech is an important city in the African state of Morocco. It is the fourth largest city in the country. Marrakech is… Read more
- Djerba, Tunisia Weather and Climate December 4, 2021 - Geographical location According to abbreviationfinder, the popular island of Djerba is located off the east coast of Tunisia, directly on the Gulf of Gabès in the Mediterranean. Around 125,000 locals… Read more
- Monastir, Tunisia Weather and Climate November 27, 2021 - Geographical location Short for MIR by abbreviationfinder, Monastir is a city on the east coast of Tunisia. The Tunisian coastal city is located in the south of the Gulf of… Read more